• Prayers & Duties >> Zakat & Charity

    Question ID: 47044Country: India

    Title: ZAKAT

    Question: I am a working woman with two minor daughters. My income is such that I hardly fulfil the needs of my family. I have got sufficient jewellery gifted by mother at the time of my marriage, how I can pay zakat on it? Can I give this jewellery to my minor daughters? In that case zakat will be due on them when they are adult. Kindly confirm.

    Answer ID: 47044

    Bismillah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim !

    (Fatwa: 1160/1160/M=9/1434) If the jewels gifted by your mother are equal to nisab value, you will have to pay its zakah. You can pay the zakah in this way: if you have rupees, you should pay zakah from those rupees, but if you do not have cash you should borrow some money or sell the jewellery in order to give zakah. You can give the jewellery to your small daughters; zakah shall be due on them when they are grownup.

    Allah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) knows Best

    Darul Ifta,

    Darul Uloom Deoband, India