• Miscellaneous >> Halal & Haram

    Question ID: 51340Country: United Arab Emirates

    Title: Changing the name of a child

    Question: I am a married woman and currently my husband and I work overseas. I have a younger sister who is 13 years. I will like for her to come and stay with me so she can continue her education. And currently it is my husband who is taking care of all her bills in school. The problem is the company in which my husband works has an educational support policy for kids and since we will therefore like my sister to benefit from the policy. But my sister name has to be in my husband's name as if he is the father. I therefore ask for permission from my dad to change my sister's name into my husband's name so now all her documents will be in my husband's name as the father. I will like to know if it is wrong or haram Islamically given the circumstance under which I have to change my sister's name. Even though my dad has consented to it.

    Answer ID: 51340

    Bismillah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim !

    (Fatwa: 481/379/L=05/1435) It is not lawful to write the name of your husband as your sister’s father. Whatsoever policy or facility is availed by writing the name in such way shall be similar to getting money illegally and telling a lie which are not lawful as per the Shariah.

    Allah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) knows Best

    Darul Ifta,

    Darul Uloom Deoband, India