Transactions & Dealings >> Business

I was planning to start an online business of leather goods where customers can order from online. I would like to know if I can carry out business in such a way, as physical possession of goods is compulsory else the transaction is haram. I would also like to know if I cannot do business this way then is there any other alternative of doing business online. I also would like you to suggest me a book on how to conduct business according to the Shariah with respect to the modern world.

Published on: Mar 7, 2013

(Fatwa: 543/325/L=1434)

(1) You did not write the detail of online business. However, if the online business is done before taking it into possession i.e. after buying the goods it is sold before taking it into possession then it is not lawful to deal in this way. The holy Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) has forbidden selling an item before taking it into possession.
(2) For this, you should get a set of “Islam Aur Jadid Ma’ashi Masail” by Hadhrat Mufti Taqi Usmani Sahib. It is very good and consists of eight volumes. It deals with most of the old and new rulings regarding business.