• Miscellaneous >> Halal & Haram

Question ID: 36106Country: India

Title: In Islam we are not allowed to celebrate birthday and by the grace of Almighty Allah even I do not like it

Question: In Islam we are not allowed to celebrate birthday and by the grace of Almighty Allah even I do not like it, but one of my Hindu friend forcibly gives me birthday gifts every year in the form of clothes, watches etc. Is it halal for me to use those things, and if it is haram what shall I do with those gifts? Awaiting your precious guidance on this.

(Fatwa: 165/165/M=1433) When you do not like birthday celebration then you must not be celebrating your birthday, so how your Hindu friend came to know about your birthday? Whatever clothes, watches etc your friend sends you as birthday gift, do not accept it in future and apologize your friend. However, making use of the gifts is not unlawful and haram for you, but a thing that is used in non-Islamic ritual involves some evil and abhorrence; therefore you should send it back or give it to any poor.