• Prayers & Duties >> Hajj & Umrah

    Question ID: 50926Country: AU

    Title: Umrah

    Question: I live in New Zealand and myself and my children very keen to visit Saudi Arabia for umrah. The Saudi embassy in NZ has appointed some agents who charge very high fee in organising the trip. They are ripping off the community in the name of the umrah and Hajj. On my travelling document (passport) I can visit Saudi Arabia without visa as there is an agreement between the country which I live in and Saudi Arabia travel free. I can purchase the ticket and can visit Saudi. My questions are as follows? Can I travel to Saudi Arabia and stay there as a visitor and later on after couple of days will approach the Saudi embassy for an umrah visa. Can I do that? Can I make my intention after applying for a visa from Saudi Arabia or do need to make my intention from the country which I am living now. I do not want to go through the agents who are ripping off. Please advise.

    Answer ID: 50926

    Bismillah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim !

    (Fatwa: 561/561/M=05/1435) If it is true that there is an agreement and law between New Zealand and Saudi Arabia of free travel then in this case you may travel under this law by your passport to Saudi Arabia without a visa. And then you can go the Embassy and get visa for umrah and thereafter you may perform it. It is not necessary to make the intention from your own country, but it is not lawful to cross the miqat without ihram.

    Allah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) knows Best

    Darul Ifta,

    Darul Uloom Deoband, India