• Prayers & Duties >> Zakat & Charity

Question ID: 25070Country: India

Title: My question is that though I possess some gold but my total debt is much higher,presently I have to pay a substantial amount every month as interest. Do I have to pay zakat for gold ?. Also can we give zakat amount the management of Madrasas who use this fund for construction of building,salary of teachers, telephone,electric bill etc besides providing fooding&lodging charges for students in their hostel.

Question: As salam o alaikum,Hazrat my question is that though I possess some gold but my total debt is much higher,presently I have to pay a substantial amount every month as interest. Do I have to pay zakat for gold ?. Also can we give zakat amount the management of Madrasas who use this fund for construction of building,salary of teachers, telephone,electric bill etc besides providing fooding&lodging charges for students in their hostel. Please reply soon,Allah Hafiz.

(Fatwa: 1483/1141/D=1431)

(1) In the question mentioned above, zakah is not fardh on you.
    و من كان عليه دين يحيط بماله و له مطالب من جهة العباد سواء كان من النقود أو من غيرها و سواء كان حالاً أو مؤجلاً فلا زكاة عليه . (فتح القدير)
    (2) Yes, you can give your zakah to the authority of the madrasa. It is not lawful to spend the amount of zakah in the construction of building, salary of teachers, telephone bill, electricity bill etc, as the holy Quran says:
    إِنَّمَا الصَّدَقَاتُ لِلْفُقَرَاء وَالْمَسَاكِينِ (الآية) [التوبة : 60]