• Prayers & Duties >> Zakat & Charity

    Question ID: 165247Country: India

    Title: Fitrah on behalf of adult children

    Question: Being a parent, can I give Fitrah on behalf of my adult children who are earning well. Is there any hard and fast rule?

    Answer ID: 165247

    Bismillah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim !

    (Fatwa: 2/205/SN=04/1440)


    According to Shariah, it is not wajib for you to pay sadaqah al-Fitr of your adult children but if the children are sahib-e-nisab then it is mandatory for them to pay their sadaqah al-Fitr on their behalf. However, if the children stay with you in a joint family and you pay sadaqah al-Fitr on their behalf then there is no harm; their sadaqah will be paid. As when children stay with father then usually a father carries such tasks on behalf of his children. It is recorded in Dur Mukhtar with Shami: 3: 317, Zakariya:


    ...... لا عن زوجته وولده الكبير العاقل ولو أدى عنهما بلا إذن أجزأ استحساناً للإذن عادة أي لو في عياله وإلا فلا (در مختار) .... وعليه الفتوى (رد المحتار).

    Allah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) knows Best

    Darul Ifta,

    Darul Uloom Deoband, India