• Prayers & Duties >> Zakat & Charity

    Question ID: 163198Country: India

    Title: Giving zakath to jobless and debted father

    Question: My father is jobless for few years now and has huge debts. My parents don't have a son and my mother works as teacher but hasn't got enough money to clear his debt. She herself has zakah to pay but she can't give it to my father. Both me and my sister are married. We wish to help our father by giving him zakah. Note please we often help him privately but with regards to zakah. Can my husband’s zakah money be given to my father to settle his loans without telling husband about giving zakah to my father. Please help as to how can I help my poor father. May Allah forgive his sins and give him Jannat.

    Answer ID: 163198

    Bismillah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim !

    (Fatwa: 1237/1058/D=10/1439)


    You (daughters) may help your parents with gift, present and contribution. It is one of the methods of helping them. The second method is to read the following dua extensively for them:


    رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيراً.


    You (daughters) cannot give the amount of your zakah to your parents. However the zakah of your husbands could be given to your parents. Thus you should give the zakah of your husbands with their permission to your mother and father, Zakah will be paid. It is neither necessary to inform the husband to whom you are giving the zakah nor it is necessary to tell your parents what types of amount is given to them. You may also give them zakah money in the name of gift. 

    Allah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) knows Best

    Darul Ifta,

    Darul Uloom Deoband, India