• Prayers & Duties >> Zakat & Charity

    Question ID: 161643Country: Saudi Arabia

    Title: Paying Zakat, Sadqa & Interest money to Brother

    Question: I have my own eldest brother who is mentally sick and he receives 12,000/- rupees per month only (from rent of a shop he received as his share from family property). He has a vacant land given as gift by my another elder brother. My Bhabi (wife of my eldest sick brother) may have gold equal to nisab amount. With this only 12,000/- rupees, he can't meet all his expenses to run his house and further his children (both are adult) are still studying, and cannot be met their all expenses by this 12,000/- rupees. My question now is can I give my zakah, sadaqah & interest money (interest received from bank on saving account) to him.

    Answer ID: 161643

    Bismillah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim !

    (Fatwa: 1034/979/M=9/1439)


    The land which your elder brother has gifted to your sick brother, if he has given it into his complete possession, and that land is more than his need and it is equal to nisab then your sick brother is not eligible to receive zakah thus it is not lawful to give him zakah, or wajib sadaqah or interest amount, yes you may give him nafl sadaqah.

    Allah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) knows Best

    Darul Ifta,

    Darul Uloom Deoband, India