• Social Matters >> Talaq (Divorce)

Question ID: 9543Country: India

Title: asslamoalaykum I gave one talaq to my wife by post. She is in india and I m in Australia. now we have realised our mistakes and want to reconcile. I had also sent the mehaer to my wife through western union money transfer but she did not accept it so the money is still with me, now the iddat period will be over in 3-4 weeks. So what will be the procedure to revoke the talaq. Can I revoke it by post? My problem is, I may not be able to go to India before the iddat period gets over. So what will be the procedure to revoke the talaq after the iddat period is over? We will have to perform NIKAH again? Please guide us in this matter as soon as possible. Allah hafiz.

Question: asslamoalaykum I gave one talaq to my wife by post. She is in india and I m in Australia. now we have realised our mistakes and want to reconcile. I had also sent the mehaer to my wife through western union money transfer but she did not accept it so the money is still with me, now the iddat period will be over in 3-4 weeks. So what will be the procedure to revoke the talaq. Can I revoke it by post? My problem is, I may not be able to go to India before the iddat period gets over. So what will be the procedure to revoke the talaq after the iddat period is over? We will have to perform NIKAH again? Please guide us in this matter as soon as possible. Allah hafiz.

(Fatwa: 36/39=L/1429)

If you have given her only one Talaq, then you can revoke the same within iddah period. For revocation, you can say at phone to her: I am taking you back. But, if she is out of iddah (which is three menses) then you have to perform Nikah again.