• Social Matters >> Talaq (Divorce)

    Question ID: 57472Country: India

    Title: Demanding to live in ex husbands house after talaq

    Question: I pronounced a triple talaq to my ex-wife in 07-2012 through a talaq-nama in the presences of two witnesses and the same was certified by the chief Qazi of Tamil Nadu in 10-2012 which my ex-wife says she doesn't accept. I then got married to a divorcee on 01-2014. After my marriage my ex-wife started to create problems and made false cases in the court demanding maintenance for her and my son (born on 02-02-2007) and also demands to live in my house where me and my wife along with our 12 year old daughter ( of my wife) live in. My question is (1) Do I have to pay maintenance? (2) Can the court order my ex-wife to stay in my house? (3) If the court orders for her to stay in my house what is the next step for me to do? (4) Is the talaq I pronounced valid or not? What is the Shariah ruling for it?

    Answer ID: 57472

    Bismillah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim !

    (Fatwa: 168/168/SD=04/1436) (1) If you admit that you have given three talaqs to your wife then according to Shariah three talaqs occurred on your wife and the relation of husband and wife came to an end completely. Acceptance of wife is not a condition for the talaq to be valid. The Shariah ruling regarding the maintenance after talaq is that the expenses of divorced wife until she is in iddah and of children’s expenses whether they remain in the custody of mother or father in each case is on the husband. Likewise, if the husband has not paid the mahr then it is also wajib on him to pay the mahr provided he has given talaq after having intercourse or he had met her in privacy. No other expense is wajib on husband for his divorced wife except it. If you are paying the expenses according to the above mentioned details then nothing else is wajib on you. But if you have not paid the said expenses then it is lawful for the wife to demand for her right. The right to nourish the male child goes to wife up to the age of seven and thereafter the father may take him back into his custody. Hence in the question mentioned above if the boy is under seven then according to the Shariah your wife has the right to demand the custody of the child. And if he is seven years old or more then it is not lawful for her to demand the custody of the child. (2&3) When three talaqs have taken place on your wife then it is not lawful for her to live with you. She has turned like a strange woman for you. You should tell the court about the Shariah ruling. (4) Yes, if you confirm giving three talaqs then three talaqs took place on your wife. قال في الهندية: رجل قال لإمرأته: أنت طالق، أنت طالق، أنت طالق – في القضاء طلقت ثلاثاً . (الفتاوى الهندية: 1/356، كتاب طلاق، الباب الثاني في إيقاع الطلاق، الفصل الأول في لاطلاق الصريح) وإن كان الطلاق ثلاثاً في الحرة – لم تحل له حتى تنكح زوجاً غيره نكاحاً صحيحاً، ويدخل بها، ثم يطلقها أو يموت عنها. (الفتاوى الهندية: 1/473، كتاب الطلاق، باب الرجعة، فصل فيما تحل به المطلقة -) والمعتدة عن الطلاق تستحق النفقة والسكنى، كان الطلاق رجعياً أو بائناً أو ثلاثًا – (الفتاوى الهندية: 1/557’ الباب السابع عشر في النفقة، الفصل الثالث في نفقة العدة) والمهر يتأكد بأحد معان ثلاثة: الدخول والخلوة الصحيحة وموت أحد الزوجين – إلخ (الهندية: 1/303، الباب السابع في المهر، الفصل الثاني فيما يتأكد به المهر) الأم والجدة أحق بالغلام حتى يستغني وقدر بسبع سنين – (الهندية، كتاب الطلاق، الباب الثادس عشر في الحضانة: 1/452) ونفقة الأولاد الصغار على الأب، لا يشاركه فيها أحد – (الهندية: 1/560، الباب السابع عشر في النفقات الفصل الرابع في نفقة الأولاد).

    Allah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) knows Best

    Darul Ifta,

    Darul Uloom Deoband, India