• Prayers & Duties >> Sawm (Fasting)

Question ID: 9178Country: India

Title: As salaam alai'kum Mufti Saheb, Would appreciate if you could let me know in light of Hadeeth & Sunnah as to apart from Ramadhan fasting which other fasts hold high rewards .. some of the fasts i know are .. 1. 1 to 9 Dhil Hujj fasts 2. 13/14/15 lunar dates of every month 3. 15th Shaban 4. 9th & 10th or 10th & 11th Moharram 5. Monday & Thursday Jazakallah Khairan

Question: As salaam alai'kum Mufti Saheb, Would appreciate if you could let me know in light of Hadeeth & Sunnah as to apart from Ramadhan fasting which other fasts hold high rewards .. some of the fasts i know are .. 1. 1 to 9 Dhil Hujj fasts 2. 13/14/15 lunar dates of every month 3. 15th Shaban 4. 9th & 10th or 10th & 11th Moharram 5. Monday & Thursday Jazakallah Khairan

(Fatwa: 2107/1937=D/1429)

It is Sunnah to keep fast on the occasion of Ashurah, while the other fasts (mentioned above) are Mustahab. The virtue of these fasts is mentioned in the Hadith. Likewise, keeping six fasts in Shawwal after Eid is also a matter of great reward. Also, there are Hadith describing the virtue of Sawm Dawood i.e. keeping fast every other day.