• Social Matters >> Nikah (Marriage)

    Question ID: 45167Country: India

    Title: Changing madhhab after marriage

    Question: I am a Muslimah. I am Shafai and my husband is Hanafi. My in laws want me to change to Hanafi madhhab but my husband does not have any problem if I remain Shafai. What am I supposed to do? Am I allowed to change to another madhhab? Should I change if my husband wishes too?

    Answer ID: 45167

    Bismillah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim !

    (Fatwa: 750/690/N=1434) According to all righteous Ulama-e-Haq the four maslaks are true. Hence it is not lawful for you to change your maslak from Shafai to Hanafi due to your husband or your in-laws, rather some scholars have termed this a cause of bad consequence. Hence you should avoid changing your maslak. It is not lawful for you to follow your husband or your in-laws in this case; rather it is wajib to avoid such things. كذا فى الدر والرد (كتاب الحدود فصل فى التعزير 6:132-133 وكتاب الشهادات باب القبول و عدمه 8:200 ط مكتبه زكريا ديوبند)

    Allah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) knows Best

    Darul Ifta,

    Darul Uloom Deoband, India