• Social Matters >> Nikah (Marriage)

    Question ID: 151294Country: India

    Title: Paying mahr

    Question: I am working in a private company where monthly basis in my salary some amount will be deducted as Provident Fund( PF). So my question is that with that money can i give mahr to my wife in Shariah it is acceptable or not.

    Answer ID: 151294

    Bismillah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim !

    (Fatwa: 1051/1064/M=9/1438)


    The amount which is deducted forcefully from the salary each month and the same amount is added by the institution and deposited in the fund you may pay this amount to your wife as mahr. It is permissible according to Shariah. The ruling of interest will not be applicable on the additional amount. 

    Allah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) knows Best

    Darul Ifta,

    Darul Uloom Deoband, India