• Miscellaneous >> Islamic Names

Question ID: 35155Country: United Arab Emirates

Title: I want to ask you is it right to having names like Rehmatullah, Qudratullah, Hikmatullah, Rahimullah, because these are sifats (attributes) of Allah

Question: I want to ask you is it right to having names like Rehmatullah, Qudratullah, Hikmatullah, Rahimullah, because these are sifats (attributes) of Allah. One of my friends told me you cannot give the sifat of Allah alone.

(Fatwa: 1736/1211/L=1432) The common sifat (attributes) of Allah the Almighty may be used for the slaves; hence it is correct to name with above mentioned names. But it is better to choose some other name instead, because people do not take any care in calling someone and that may cause disgrace towards these names. وجاز التسمية بعلي ورشيد من الآسماء المشتركة ويراد في حقنا غير مايراد في حق الله تعالي لكن التسمية بغير ذلك في زماننا أولي . (الدر المختار : 9/598)