• Transactions & Dealings >> Interest & Insurance

    Question ID: 59500Country: United Kingdom

    Title: Tenants liability insurance

    Question: I live in a rented house here in UK. Due to my change I have to change house almost every year. Almost always I tend to lose about half of the deposit as a result of minor damages in the property. If I buy "tenants liability insurance”, I will be paying small amount every month to cover for damages to landlords belongings and property. And that will save my deposit and at the end of the year I will end of losing less money. But this insurance is not a legal requirement. Is this type of insurance allowed as I will end of saving money than losing. But if it is haram I would rather not go anywhere near it.

    Answer ID: 59500

    Bismillah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim !

    (Fatwa: 763/759/B=08/1436) According to Shari’ah, insurance policy is haram and unlawful. However, in order to save your hard-earned income, you can adopt some other sources instead of availing this policy.

    Allah (Subhana Wa Ta'ala) knows Best

    Darul Ifta,

    Darul Uloom Deoband, India