• Transactions & Dealings >> Inheritance & Will

Question ID: 179317Country: Ireland

Title: Share in Inheritance

Question: I have two sons and two daughters. One of my daughters died five years ago and she left one daughter behind who is now 8 years old. I want to share my inheritance according to the Islamic laws. Is there any share of my granddaughter from my inheritance? What will be the share of each, my two sons, one daughter, and one granddaughter? May Allah reward you the best.

(Fatwa: 948//86/Tatimmah/B=10/1441)

Ma-shaAllah, you are alive. You are sole owner of all your property during your lifetime. Your sons and daughters shall get their Shariah share after your death, which is known as division of inheritance. While you are alive and want to distribute your property among your sons and daughter then it shall be Hibah not inheritance. The best method of doing Hibah is that equal share is given to each one. You have two sons and one daughter then divide all your property into three shares and give 1-1 share to each one. In the presence of son nawasi (granddaughter) is deprived hence she shall get no share in your property. Yes, if you want to give some property to your nawasi (granddaughter) during your lifetime then you may give to her. You have the option.