Social Matters >> Women's Issues

Question # : 1877


My question is about IDUT (The period a woman is to stay in the home of his deceased husband). can she go out and stay in the other city where his son is living for medical treatment as having cronical disease.

Answer : 1877

Published on: Nov 13, 2007

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 689/685=N)


A woman is not allowed to go out of her home in a state of iddah (waiting period). If her treatment is possible in the very place she lives then it is not allowed to take her to any other city. But, if her treatment is not possible then she can be shifted to another city for treatment:

ولاتخرج معتدۃ رجعی و بائن لو حرۃ مکلفۃ من بیتھا اصلاً لا لیلاً و لا نھاراً ۔۔۔ و تعتدان أی معتدۃ طلاق و موت فی بیت وجبت فیہ ولایخرجان منہ الا أن تخرج أو ینھدم المنزل أو تخاف انھدامہ ۔۔۔ و نحو ذلک من الضرورات

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

Related Question