Transactions & Dealings >> Inheritance & Will

Question # : 27527

United Kingdom

Assalamoualikum Respected Mufti sahib, I am the owner of a house, although the legal papers for the house are held in the name of a family member. As I am not married and have no children, I am intending to give this house to my nephew whom I have bought up since childhood although I will continue to reside in the house. Can you please advise me how I can give this house as a gift to my nephew Islamically. Would a written letter suffice or should I do something else i.e. leave the house one time and give the keys to my nephew then return back. Please advise me. May Allah tala reward you.

Answer : 27527

Published on: Nov 1, 2010

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 1873/1497/B=1431)

When the house is in the name of family member, then you have no rights to gift the house to your nephew. However, if you will stay in the same house the gift shall not take place. You are still unmarried, you should not make hurry. However, you can provide him the facility to live in your house.

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

Related Question