Social Matters >> Food & Drinks

Question # : 1673


Asalam u Alaikum! I work in a islamic branch of a conventional bank in Pakistan. I used to work in a interest based bank before and have friends who are still working in interst based banks. 1). Therefore, sometimes if I go meet them either they offer me food or drinks from their income or bank's petty funds as it is customary in offices, please tell me if it is jahiz or not. OR 2). They invite me in thier marriages OR other functions, I have to eat or drink with them from the food or drinks which are purchased from their own income. please give me your fatwa if it is permitted or not. 3). Since I am working in a Islamic branch of a conventional interest based bank. The working and functionality of our branch is Shariah compliant and approved as such from State bank of pakistan. State bank of pakistan has a Shariah board menned by Shariah Scholars who give license for islamic banking to either full fledged islamic banks OR standalone branches for islamic banking of conventional banks and operations of these branches are separate from conventional banking branches. What I like to know that sometimes I have to attend functions / attend meetings where I have to drink tea or eat food sponsored by conventional interest based banking branches. Since these are official meetings, functions, or calls then it is very very difficult to say NO in such circumstances. Please give your fatwa on this if it is "jahiz or not" and if conditionally Jahiz then conditionalities attached to it.

Answer : 1673

Published on: Nov 3, 2007

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 1308/1199=B)


If your friend has halal income as well and his halal income is more than haram income, you can eat and drink at his house. But, if the haram income is more than halal income or the entire income is haram then you are not allowed to eat his meal. You should excuse him politely.

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

Related Question