Prayers & Duties >> Zakat & Charity

United Arab Emirates

asalam alykum.thank you very much for providing this service.allh sucess this sight. I have a question regarding zakat and sadkhat.i am married and i am earning upto 5000aed.in that no money will remain at the end.my wife got so many gifts of gold so i want to know that is zakath compulsory now.and if compulsory how much should i pay.please tell me the percentage.and also tell me how much shoud i sadkhat.please reply me.thank you.allahfiz.salam alykum.

Published on: Jul 22, 2008

(Fatwa: 1257/1062=B -1429)

When, after all expenditures, you do not save wealth equal to nisab (the amount prescribed for zakah) at the year-end, then you are not asked to pay zakah. If a year had passed over the gold received by your wife as a gift, then it is essential for your wife to give zakah. The value of the gold and available cash etc should be calculated altogether then the fortieth part (i.e. 2.50%) of the total amount should be paid as zakah.