Prayers & Duties >> Zakat & Charity

My question is i have nearly 6 lakh indian rupees in my possession from october end last year is it obligatory for me to pay zakat and if it is please mention the amount should be payed it will be a great help for me ,since we dont have any one to guide us here.

Published on: Jun 7, 2008

(Fatwa: 994/769=H)

Zakah of six lakh rupees is fifteen thousand rupees. Keep safe the date of last October in which the amount came in your possession matching it with last year's lunar calendar. Actually, you will be asked to pay zakah according to the same lunar date as long as you will be owner of the nisab (amount prescribed for Zakah) i.e. keep on paying zakah on the same lunar date yearly against whatever items of zakah (money, gold, silver, business money) you have. Calculate the price of all items and pay 2.5% as zakah. You should study Behishti Zewar and Talim-ul-Islam in order to know major issues related to Zakah.