Prayers & Duties >> Zakat & Charity

(1) I have an RD account in which I deposit 12000 Rs every month and I have been doing this since January 2016. So now I have (12*12000) Rs. And also my father sent me 1 lakh Rs in this month which I deposited in FD account. So how much zakah should I pay?
(2) Kindly tell me details of calculating zakah.

Published on: Jan 31, 2017

(Fatwa: 375/289/D=4/1438)

You became sahib-e-nisab when you owned cash amount equal to 612 gram silver, i.e. zakah became fardh on you. Further, the amount which kept on increasing or decreasing during the year it shall be added in the same amount. When one year completes as per the lunar calendar i.e. from the time when you became sahib-e-nisab one year has completed then on the completion of the year whatsoever amount you keep in your hand you will have to pay its zakah, whether you owned some amount few days before completing the year. According to this calculation, you will have to pay zakah on total amount which you have saved and the amount which your father gifted you.(Fatwa: 375/289/D=4/1438)

You became sahib-e-nisab when you owned cash amount equal to 612 gram silver, i.e. zakah became fardh on you. Further, the amount which kept on increasing or decreasing during the year it shall be added in the same amount. When one year completes as per the lunar calendar i.e. from the time when you became sahib-e-nisab one year has completed then on the completion of the year whatsoever amount you keep in your hand you will have to pay its zakah, whether you owned some amount few days before completing the year. According to this calculation, you will have to pay zakah on total amount which you have saved and the amount which your father gifted you.