Faiths & Beliefs >> The Holy Quran

USA

Is it alright to let my six year old boy learn Quran from an expert teacher but she teaches girls only. I sit with him and he takes his lessons from the teacher very nicely but there are no other boys in the class. Girls’ ages are between 5 and 11.

Published on: Jan 3, 2018

(Fatwa: 353/298/D=4/1439)

A six year old boy is not adolescent (murahiq) hence he may sit near any woman to read the Holy Quran and read it before her. If there are other girls in the class then too there is no harm. If you (mother) sit with him then it is far better. But when the boy seems to be adolescent then he should avoid sitting in the class of girls and sitting near the woman to read. In short, he may read the Holy Quran before attaining the age of twelve years with a lady teacher.

.....سن المراهقة واقله للانثى تسع وللذكر اثنا عشر لان ذلك اقل مدة يمكن فيها البلوغ . (الدر مع الرد ج 2، ص 306)