Faiths & Beliefs >> Taqleed & Fighi Schools

United Kingdom

My question is regarding the Hanafi proofs for Salah. What are the evidences used to place the hands below the navel in Salah for men and on the chest for women? Please provide narrations with references. I heard that Shaykh Muhammad al-Nimawi (author of Athar al-Sunan - wrote a work called Durratul Ghurra fi wada'a al-Yadayn tahta al-surra on this issue - Is this book available in any library to acquire these days?

Published on: Sep 24, 2007

(Fatwa: 1082/1014=B)

عن علقمۃ بن وائل بن حجر عن ابیہ قال: رأیت النبی صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم یضع یمینہ علی شمالہ تحت السرۃ (رواہ ابن ابی شیبۃ: 390)

There are nearly 8-10 Hadiths which are related to place the hands below naval for men. We have quoted only one of them. As far as the Hadiths are concerned which contain placing hands on chest they are related to women or bayan-e-jawaz (to indicate that it is also allowed) according to the Ahnaaf.