Social Matters >> Talaq (Divorce)

Canada

My wife and I got into an argument. I said to her in anger "I am making you haram upon me". When I said that to her, it was not with the intention of issuing a divorce of any kind. I had no intention in my heart to issue divorce by saying that. Rather, it was to tell her I did not want to be intimate with her. Therefore, can you please tell me if our marriage is still valid and it does not fall under the category of divorce.

Published on: Oct 28, 2015

(Fatwa: 1214/1214/M=01/1437)

By the sentence “I am making you haram upon me” one talaq baina took place and the relation of nikah between both of you came to an end. By this sentence, talaq takes place without intention of talaq. Your wife can marry anyone after passing iddah and if she wants to marry you then she can do so without halalah within iddah and after iddah as well.
والفتوى اليوم على وقوع الطلاق به أى بقوله أنت على حرام وهو قول المتأخرين لغلبة الاستعمال بالعرف وعليه الفتوى كما فى أكثر المعتبرات ، ولهذا لا يحلف به إلا الرجال ولو نوى غيره لا يصدق قضاءاً . (مجمع الأنهر ج 2 ص 100 ، ط: مكتبه فقيه الأمه/ ديوبند)