Social Matters >> Rights & Etiquettes

United Arab Emirates

My grandfather (Nana also my care taker after my father passed away) who is also my Ustad was a great alim from Darul Uloom Deoband who passed away 2 years back. I have learned Quran and other religious teachings from him. Recently when I was at home and in angry mood I spoke bad about him before my mother and sister and did gibah, since then I am not able to recite the Holy Quran properly. I was very ashamed after this happened. Please tell me if there is any kaffarah so that this sin is cleaned and I can recite the holy Quran as I was doing earlier.

Published on: Feb 4, 2015

(Fatwa: 319/316/B=04/1436)

You Nana was an Islamic scholar as well as your teacher. Also he was the real father of your mother. It was regrettable that you spoke bad about him that too before your mother. You hurt your mother either. First you should seek pardon from your mother and then do true and genuine taubah. Now you should do du’a for your Nana’s forgiveness as well for his high status (in Jannah). Recite the holy Quran etc daily and send its reward to your Nana continuously. It may suffice as kaffarah.