I have 3 questions regarding nikah and walimah.
1. How much is Mahr-e-Fatimi? I heard it as 1.5 kg of silver from one of the Mufti here. Can I give a diamond necklace which will cost around 1 lakh Indian rupees as per Islam?
2. I requested bride's family “not to provide” nikah treat (dawat) from their side as I would like to keep my nikah and walimah simple. But my future ‘father-in-law’ says it is his and his family wish by heart and their own willingness to treat all during his daughter nikah. I read in Darul Ifta Question:
68297 (Fatwa ID: 1023-999/SN=11/1437) that if bride family provide the treat (dawat) by their own wish, it is allowed. I also have told them you can celebrate this treat but i do not want to involve my family members in it so kindly excuse us. (i) If suppose they request or force us with love, can I allow my whole families (more than 200 people) to have this dawat (as per Islam/Sunnah)? (ii) Can this nikah dawat by bride's family has to be performed before nikah day? (As there is no hadith or logic behind this dawat like we do dawat for Haji's before they travel for hajj even there is no hadith or logic for it). I also understand that walimah dawat has to be performed after nikah and in some opinion after nikah and bride and groom meeting in private but this question is about nikah dawat by bride's family.
3. If suppose nikah is performed at 11:30 am then I have planned to meet my wife in private for 30 minutes. (i) Then after Zuhr Namaz, we (Groom) would like to organize the walimah treat (dawat), will this be valid as per Islam/Sunnah? (ii) Or is it mandatory to spend night together before organizing the walimah? (iii) Or is it mandatory to consummate before organizing the walimah? Kindly provide the answer as per Islam/Sunnah and also provide the answer as per the points and sub points I have put so that it will be easy to understand.
JazakAllah in advance.
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
(1) Mahr Fatmi is 131 tola and 3 masha silver (1 tola = 12 masha). At present, it is nearly equal to 1600 gram silver. If you want to give necklace of 1 lakh value in mahr then you may do so.
(2) The feast arranged by bride’s family on the occasion of nikah is not sunnah, but it is lawful without any doubt. When the nikah of Hadhrat Umm Habibah (may Allah be pleased with her) was solemnized with the Holy Prophet Muhammad (may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), the Najashi king who was intermediate arranged a feast on behalf of Hadhrat Umm Habibah (may Allah be pleased with her). This Hadith proves that the bride side can arrange feast.
So, it is not correct what you said to your in-laws that they may arrange the feast but you do not want to let your family members participate in it.
(3) The feast arranged by the boy’s family after nikah is called walimah. Similarly, If it is done the next day after the husband meets his wife, it is also walimah. And if one meets his wife immediately after nikah and arranges the feast it is also walimah. The best of walimah is to spend the night with wife and invite people for a feast the next day. Whatsoever is fed before nikah is not walimah.
Allah knows Best!
Darul Uloom Deoband