Prayers & Duties >> Jumuah & Eid Prayers

Assalamu Alaikum I will be thankful to you if you kindly define EIDGAH and enlighten me about the following: 1. Can we conduct Eid prayers in a place owned by a Muslim? 2. Can we conduct Eid prayers in a place owned by a non-Muslim? 3. Is it permissible to make a place Eidgah for one or two years where a building is to come up later on? 4. Can Eid prayers be conducted at different times in a mosque as well as in a nearby place owned by a non-Muslim with his/her permission? Thanks

Published on: Jan 4, 2009

(Fatwa: 4/H/1429)

(1-2) An endowed place which is specified for performing Eid prayers is called Eidgah in Islamic terms. If it is not endowed but owned by some Muslim, then also Eid prayers are valid, but it will not be regarded Eidgah. The same ruling is applied if it is owned by a non-Muslim.

(3) There is no wrong in performing Eid prayers there, but it should neither be constructed with buildings like that of Eidgah nor should it be named with Eidgah so that Muslims are not in doubt if they see any other building being erected there.

(4) It can be performed.