Faiths & Beliefs >> Innovations & Customs

I have a question, please give me the fatwa. Is it halal for men to wear flower garland on marriage ceremony? Here in Tamil Nadu other religious people will wear the flower garland in their every functions. Please reply with email, have to publish in social network and for college students.

Published on: Oct 28, 2015

(Fatwa: 1137/1126/N=01/1437)

It is the custom of others to wear garland at the time of marriage which some illiterate Muslims have adopted. Also it is not proved from the Holy Quran, Hadith and sahabah. Hence this is unlawful and bida’h and it is wajib to avoid it.
عن ابن عمر رضى الله عنهما قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: "من تشبه بقوم فهو منهم". (مشكوة شريف ص 375 بحواله: مسند احمد و سنن ابو داود).
Also see: Fatawa Darul Uloom Deoband (17:326, Question: 1699, 18:573, Question:867), Bahishti Zewar Mudallal (6:25, pub: Kutub Khana Akhtari, Near Mazahir Uloom, Saharanpur), and Fatwa Mahmoodia Jadid (11: 211-213, Question: 5502-5504, pub: Idarah Siddiq, Dhabel, Gujarat)