Faiths & Beliefs >> Innovations & Customs

Pakistan

I know that night of 15th Shaban (Shab-e- Barat) is a very sacred night. But I have read in some books that all hadiths pertaining to this night are very weak and that no special prayers are to be done for this night. Kindly tell me whether this is correct or not in the light of the holy Quran and sunnah. And also what is the belief of Ulama of Deoband about it?

Published on: Jul 11, 2013

(Fatwa: 1095/851/B=1434)

Yes, all the hadiths related to the virtues of 15th of Shaban are weak, but all the scholars of hadith agree that it is lawful to practice weak hadiths if it is related to fazail (virtues). However, it is not lawful to practice weak hadiths if it is related to ahkam (commandments). No special worship is narrated in this night. However, if someone wants to pray he may do so in his house individually. People should not give it celebration look in the pathways or in the mosques during this night; it is the practice of Ahl Batil (deviants).