Transactions & Dealings >> Inheritance & Will

Question # : 6427


I have married in 1978 and divorce my wife through Islamic law and I have paid and settled ithath, meher and other expenses. And also we had a baby girl which was my daughter paid her incidential expenses till she passes minor category and above fixed Rupees Thirty thousand on fixed deposit for her marriage expenses till she comes the marriage age. I have taken her studies expenses time to time through bank which they have utilised it. This was agreed by both the parties and paid through Jamat meanwhile my X wife got married to other gentleman. About 5 years before my daughter got married and used the 18years fixed amount utilised for her marriage so I have not paid any further money, because the 18years fixed amount was very sufficient for all the marriage expenses. Now, four days before my daughter and her husband came and harrass me to give more and more and a huge amount or a property from me. For your kind information I do not own any property in my name. And my present wife own property on her names. Please guide me and let me know through shariyat legally does my daughter have any rights to get the demanding money? Because they have given me a warning that they can sue me by Indian Court. Please revert me back as soon as possible.

Answer : 6427

Published on: Jul 24, 2008

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 1508/1157=H/1429)


In the abovementioned case, the daughter and son-in-law have no right to demand any share in your property and wealth. If they sue the case in the Indian Court, you can fight it through any expert advocate. Yes, if they demand any Shariah right, then you should write it in detail and ask the question again.

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

Related Question