Transactions & Dealings >> Inheritance & Will

I want to know whether daughters have their share in their parental house. One of my friend has asked this question to me, "What is the share of a daughter in her father's house? The father does not have any other property except a house.

Published on: May 3, 2011

(Fatwa: 761/761/M=1432)

Children (son or daughter) have no rights in the property of their father in his lifetime. The father has complete rights in his property whether he sells it or endows it or makes donation of it. Children cannot demand in the lifetime of their father. The children are eligible to receive their rights only after the death of their father if he leaves some property. The ruling of the inheritance is described in the holy Quran in the following verse:
لِلذَّكَرِ مِثْلُ حَظِّ الأُنثَيَيْنِ [النساء : 11[
“For a male there is a share equal to that of two females.” [4:11]
Yes, if the father wants to distribute his property in his lifetime, he should give equal share to all his children (male and female).
اعدلو بين أولادكم (الحديث)