Prayers & Duties >> Hajj & Umrah

Dear Mufti Sahib, Assalamu alaikum, I am 56 years old and planning, inshallah, to travel for Umrah this Ramzan along with my wife. My wife's cousin sister who age is 56 years, same age as mine, also wishes to travel with us. Please let me know whether it is jayiz for her to travel with me and my wife and I acting as her Mahram. I have intimated to her that to the best of my knowledge she should not accompany me because I am her non-mehram but she says because of her age it is OK. In spite of my objection she still insists to accompany us. Please let me know what is my position in this situation.

Published on: Oct 2, 2007

(Fatwa: 602/597=M)

Your wife?s cousin sister can not travel with you for Hajj; she is non-mahram for you. You opinion is right and her insisting is wrong:

فی العالمگیریۃ: و منھا المحرم للمرأۃ شابۃ کانت أو عجوزاً اذا کانت بینھا و بین مکۃ مسیرۃ ثلاثۃ أیام، ھکذا فی المحیط (الفتاوی الھندیۃ: 1/218)