Social Matters >> Education & Upbringing

Dear Sir, Assalamalaikum I need one suggestion a topic which is at interface of Science and Islam. One of my friend who is a researcher have been assigned to work on PIG for some scientific work. He is seeking suggestions from us in this regard. Actually, he will not handle the animal directly, his colleagues will give a part of rectum(a part of stomach) to him after dissecting the animal. He is supposed to isolate mRNA and some cells (Lymphocytes) from Peyer`s paches and to do further analysis. He is seeking suggestions whether it will be "jayaz" to do it. Please respond as soon as possible. Jazkallah-khair-un-jaza Wassalams, yusuf

Published on: May 17, 2008

(Fatwa: 72/72=M)

According to Islam, pig is impure and each part of it is haram and impure. Its impurity has been implicitly mentioned in the Quran. So, before giving any ruling about the method of scientific research, we would like to know from you whether this research can be done on pigs or on any other animal i.e. whether there is an alternative animal or not. Secondly, whether getting the medical purpose from the research is sure or uncertain. Thirdly, whether your friend who is entrusted this work is bound to do it or he has some options. Please, ask the question again explaining all these points.