Transactions & Dealings >> Business

Respected Moulvisaheb, A person has given me 10 open plots (1 lakh each)on udhaar, and said u may pay me 10 lakhs by your pocket or sell outside anyhow i want 10 lakhs. There is no timeframe to it. Now i am able to sell them for 13 lakhs. Is it halaal for me those 3 lakhs. Pls advise. With regards!

Published on: Feb 18, 2010

(Fatwa: 147/140/H=1431)

If you have purchased the plots in 10 lakhs with late payment after exchange of proper words for selling and buying as per the Shariah, and you took the plots in your possession, then you became the owner of the plots. Now, if you sell the plots in 13 lakhs or more or less, and pay back ten lakhs to that person at the proposed time or before, it is also lawful. The profit of three lakhs will be lawful for you. If any of these matters was against the Shariah principle, the ruling will differ. If you have some confusion, submit the question again.